1. How do I sign up?
in approximately July with more information!
2. When does marching band camp start?
The first day of marching band camp for all members is Friday, August 14, 2020 and goes
through Sunday, August 23, 2020.
3. Do I have to audition for marching band?
It depends on the section! For most woodwind and brass sections, there will be a very brief playing audition,
mostly to determine part placement. The audition for brass and woodwind will consist of show material (dispersed
in the summer), the performance of 2-3 scales, and potentially sight reading. There will be formal auditions for the guard and drumline.
3. Do I have to be a music major to march in the marching band?
No. All UNT students are eligible, regardless of major.
4. Is marching band a part of the music education degree plan?
Yes, 3 semesters.
5. Do the residence halls open early for marching band camp?
Yes. The residence halls will open early for band camp students. Move in for all members will be the morning of Aug. 14 with band activities starting in the afternoon.
6. Can I play in marching band and a concert group?
Yes. We always have marching band members who play in Wind Symphony, Symphonic Band,
Wind Ensemble, Brass Band, Concert Band, or University Band. Music majors are strongly encouraged to
particiapte in concert ensembles for both fall and spring semesters.
7. What additional expenses should I anticipate as a member of the marching band?
The only items that are not provided are the black MTX marching shoes (approx. $40) and the "band bundle." The
bundle (approx. $95) includes apparel necessary for the semester. Orders will be taken during band camp.
8. Can I play in a concert group if I am not a music major?
Yes. All non-majors are encouraged to audition for the concert ensembles.
9. When are auditions for concert ensembles?
The concert ensembles auditions will begin the week of August 17, 2020.
10. What do I need to play for my concert ensemble audition?
The music will be prescribed for each instrument. Please see the Wind Studies website
(www.windstudies.music.unt.edu) beginning the afternoon of August 1, 2020 for the music
which you may dowload. Sight-reading may be required.
Effective January 1, 2010, all students who are newly enrolled at the University of North Texas and who will reside in on-campus housing, including greek housing, must provide evidence of vaccination against bacterial meningitis or must qualify for one of the two permissible exemptions prior to moving into on-campus housing. Vaccinationas must be administered no fewer than 10 days prior to the student's move in date. See more information on the eHousing application and the Student Health & Wellness Center website. http://www.healthcenter.unt.edu/immunization-requirements/