1. When does marching band camp start?
The first day of marching band camp for all wind players is Saturday, August 18, 2018 and goes
through Sunday, August 26, 2018. Percussionists and guard members begin on Friday, August
2. Do I have to audition for marching band?
There will be formal auditions for the guard and drumline. For most woodwind and brass
sections, there will be a very brief playing audition, mostly to determine part placement. The
audition for brass and woodwind will consist of a short sight-reading excerpt and the performance
of 2-3 scales.
3. Do I have to be a music major to march in the marching band?
No. All UNT students are eligible, regardless of major.
4. Is marching band a part of the music education degree plan?
Yes, 3 semesters.
5. Do the residence halls open early for marching band camp?
Yes. The residence halls will open early for band camp students based on your section's first day.
6. Can I play in marching band and a concert group?
Yes. We always have marching band members who play in Wind Symphony, Symphonic Band,
Wind Ensemble, Brass Band, Concert Band, or University Band. Music majors are strongly encouraged to participate in concert
ensembles for both fall and spring semesters.
7. What additional expenses should I anticipate as a member of the marching band?
The only items that are not provided are the black MTX marching shoes ($38) and the "band bundle." The
bundle ($75) includesapparel necessary for the semester. Orders will be taken during band camp.
8. Can I play in a concert group if I am not a music major?
Yes. All non-majors are encouraged to audition for the concert ensembles.
9. When are auditions for concert ensembles?
The concert ensembles auditions will begin the week of August 20, 2018.
10. What do I need to play for my concert ensemble audition?
The music will be prescribed for each instrument. Please see the Wind Studies website
(www.music.unt.edu/windstudies) beginning the afternoon of August 1, 2018 for the music
which you may dowload. Sight-reading may be required.
Effective January 1, 2010, all students who are newly enrolled at the University of North Texas and who will reside in on-campus housing, including greek housing, must provide evidence of vaccination against bacterial meningitis or must qualify for one of the two permissible exemptions prior to moving into on-campus housing. Vaccinationas must be administered no fewer than 10 days prior to the student's move in date. See more information on the eHousing application and the Student Health & Wellness Center website. http://www.healthcenter.unt.edu/immunization-requirements/