2021 Season and General Frequently Asked Questions

1.  How do I sign up?

Registration for 2021 is not yet live. However! Please indicate your interest in Green Brigade by filling out this form (click here!) We will be in touch in the spring semester when official registration opens. We're excited to have you join our wonderful organization!

2.  When is summer band camp?

2021 Summer Band Camp dates have not yet been announced.

3.  Do I have to audition for marching band?

It depends on the section!

For woodwind and brass sections, there is no formal audition prior to summer camp. Once you arrive on campus, there will be a very brief playing audition, mostly to determine part placement (i.e. if you'll be on 1st part, 2nd part, etc.). This audition for will consist of pregame or halftime show material (dispersed toward the end of July, usually), the performance of 2-3 scales major scales demonstrating your range, and potentially sight reading. If you are prepared and demonstrate proficiency, you'll have a spot on the field.

There are more formal auditions for the guard and percussion sections (battery and front ensemble). Please see those pages on this site for information about auditioning for those spots.

4.  Is there a limit on how many can partipate in Green Brigade?

Not at this time. The more, the merrier!

5.  Is there a class I need to register for?

Yes. Once you go through orientation, you should register for the MULB 1812. Woodwinds and brass should register for section 500, percussion for section 501, and color guard for section 502.

6.  When do you rehearse? When do you perform?

We rehearse Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 4:30-6:30. We perform at all home games (6 a year), usually 2-3 away games (some are full band trips, some are pep band trips). We also perform at various different events each year, such as at spirit events (Homecoming), exhibitions (like BOA or regional competitions), and other special functions. Green Brigade members also have the opportunity to be part of our Basketball and Volleyball bands, which have a blast playing for those sports, as well.

7.  Does GB travel to away games? 

Generally, yes. We usually travel to two or three away games that are a relatively close distance to UNT. In the recent past, for example, we have done road trips to Rice, SMU, and Louisiana Tech. We do not travel to extremely far games, such as UTEP, UAB, or FAU.

8.  Do I have to be a music major to march in the marching band?

No! All UNT students are eligible, regardless of major.

9.  Is marching band a part of the music education degree plan?

Yes, 3 semesters.

10.  Do the residence halls open early for marching band camp?

Yes, the residence halls will open early for band camp students! 

A special note about housing: All students who are newly enrolled at the University of North Texas and who will reside in on-campus housing, including greek housing, must provide evidence of vaccination against bacterial meningitis or must qualify for one of the two permissible exemptions prior to moving into on-campus housing. Vaccinations must be administered no fewer than 10 days prior to the student's move in date. See more information on the eHousing application and the Student Health & Wellness Center website. http://www.healthcenter.unt.edu/immunization-requirements/

11.  I received my housing assignment and it says one date, but summer band info on this site says another date. What do I do?

You don't need to do anything, actually. We (Green Brigade staff) report registration information to Housing and Dining Services. As long as you've filled out our registration, they'll know to expect you.

12.  Exactly what happens on the move in date?

You'll have the morning (8 a.m. to noon, approximately) to load into your dorm room. Usually there are members of the band leadership or College of Music organizations there to help you, as well. You can expect an hour-by-hour schedule about a week before camp begins.

13.  I live off-campus and my apartment lease date is later than the Green Brigade summer band start date. What do I do?

This is a very normal situation and is usually easily solved with early communication. Many apartment complexes that are associated with Off Campus Life at UNT allow students to negotiate an earlier lease. While Green Brigade is not directly involved, each student can contact their respective apartment offices to request an earlier move in date. Some apartments might charge an additional fee, but most are willing to work with individual cases. In some situations, apartment complexes actually contact Green Brigade to determine summer band dates specifically to assist students with this scenario. 

14.  Does Green Brigade conflict with Freshman Orientation / First Flight week activities?

The first thing to know is that if you are a freshman or transfer, you should avoid the final Orientation dates (this pertains to Freshman Orientation, Transfer Express 5, or the Late sessions), as these conflict with summer band. All other Orientation dates will be fine.

In terms of First Flight, the Director has coordinated summer band camp with those activities. Generally, Green Brigade students are excused from First Flight Week. However, there a handful of First Flight activities that are important to attend. In the time that Green Brigade does not have scheduled rehearsals, students are free to attend those programs. It is purposefully designed to allow freshmen to visit, for example, College Day events and other critical events.

15.  I want to rush a sorority/fraternity. Can I still participate in GB?

The Green Brigade has had many students participate in both music and non-music Greek Life rush weeks. Students need to communicate with Student Leadership in advance, but usually no major conflicts exist.

16.  Do you provide instruments?

We provide mellophones, baritones, sousaphones, and percussion equipment to all members. These instruments are provided for free. Normal wear and tear is to be expected, but you will be held liable if there's major damage done, so take care of them!

17.  Are there band fees?

No! The only financial committment is for the apparel and supplies we don't provide. These are things like marching shoes, a lyre clip, an "eFlip", a water jug, and the "band bundle." The eFlip is a device that holds your phone and connects to a lyre, as Green Brigade distributes drill and music exclusively digitally (via UDBapp Pro and FlipFolderApp). The "bundle" is a self contained order that includes what some schools call a 'summer uniform,' such as a Green Brigade hat, polo, etc. We have our own in-house vendor for this and orders will be taken prior to band camp.

18.  So what, exactly, will I need to purchase?

- The Band Bundle (http://shopgreenbrigade.com/. (Note: this website is not yet live for 2021)

- "eFlip", an electronic lyre clip (https://www.tonalinnovation.com/eflip). Green Brigade operates totally digitally, with all music distributed via Bluetooth and Wifi to your smartphone or tablet. Drill is distributed via the app UDBPro. You will need this phone clip (and a lyre, depending on your instrument) for you to successfully manage this.

- Black marching shoes (MTX preferred, if you don't have them). We will have a representative do shoe fittings at camp, if you need a pair. You can also get these online fairly easily, if you know your size.

These are in addition to regular band items, such as a water jug or (even better) a CamelPak, sunscreen, athletic clothing, and your instrument.

19.  Can I play in marching band and a concert group?

Yes. We always have marching band members who play in Wind Symphony, Symphonic Band, Wind Ensemble, Brass Band, Symphonic Band, or Concert Band. Music majors are strongly encouraged to participate in concert ensembles for both fall and spring semesters.

20.  Can I play in a concert group if I am not a music major?

Absolutely, and we hope you do! All non-majors are encouraged to audition for the concert ensembles.

21.  I am an orchestra or choral concentration but still want to march GB. Would that pose any conflicts?

The only conflicts would occur when Green Brigade rehearsals/performances coincide with your concentration. Students who are orchestra/choral concentration still must demonstrate proficiency of a standard marching instrument, and have to enroll in the marching band course.

22.  When are auditions for concert ensembles?

The concert ensembles auditions usually begin the Monday prior to school starting. Please note that all music majors MUST audition for an ensemble, as part of the degree plan. You are able to select your audition time slot, so that you do not conflict with Summer Band Camp rehearsal times.

23. How do I audition for concert ensembles, and what do I need to play?

The music will be prescribed for each instrument. Please see the Wind Studies website (www.windstudies.music.unt.edu) beginning the afternoon of August 1st for the music and audition requirements. Sight-reading may be required. Be sure to register on that site for an audition slot. If you don't fill out the form located there (once it's live), we won't know to expect you for an audition.

24. I attend a nearby institution that does not have a marching band. Can I join Green Brigade?

Yes! You need to apply to UNT as “transient” meaning that you'd like to enroll, but do not intend to graduate here and are not auditioning to be a music major. That category simply allows you to enroll and makes the process simpler. Any financial aid still goes through your 'regular' institution and you can frequently show the insitution your UNT registration to get figured into the aid from the other school (you always get aid at the school where you are enrolled the most hours).

Most colleges in Texas use the same basic ApplyTexas app that UNT uses. You just needs to log into your account and resend your application to UNT and pay the UNT fee. The whole process takes a couple weeks, then you can sign up for marching band. (MULB 1812, section 500, 501, or 502 depending on your section).

25. I have more questions. Who can I contact?

Please email GreenBrigade@unt.edu.